Friday, September 6, 2013

All Smiles at the Day of the Dead in Oaxaca City, Mexico

The Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday and is celebrated throughout Mexico. Family and friends get together to pray and remember their loved ones who have passed away. This is not a time of mourning, but rather it is a joyful celebration of life, food, friends and family.

The history of the Day of the Dead is a syncretism of Pre-Hispanic and Spanish customs. The celebration takes place on November 1–2, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2).

I photographed this young boy at the children comparsas (parade) in the zocalo (public square) of Oaxaca City, Mexico. I crouched down to photograph at his level, but I could not get him to smile. So I put down my camera for a moment and stuck out my tongue. He returned the favor by flashing this toothy grin!

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Facebook | Google + | Twitter | Pinterest | Photography Blog | Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment