Friday, October 8, 2010

This was not inspired by J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek Lens Flares

This photograph was inspired by humanitarian photographer and best-selling author David duChemin. After digesting his books “Within The Frame” and “VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography” I got inspired by some of his photographs that incorporated artistic lens flare to them.

This unique lift bridge over the Menasha Lock is part of the Fox Cities Trestle - Friendship Trail. The local operator just got done lowering the bridge and I spotted these two bicycle riders ready to cross. I quickly set my Canon 5D MKII camera and knowingly was going to violate one of the first rules of photography that I learned: never shoot into the sun! But I wanted to shoot into the sun to pull off my David duChemin lens flare tribute.

Well, I pulled it off and the rules of photography be damned!

Lens flares in your shot mixes up your artistic creativity but don’t overdo it like J.J. Abrams did in his Star Trek film. I thought the lens flare were great in the first couple of shots but in every frame? Simply annoying.

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment