Sunday, July 8, 2012

This is why I am a Photographer!

Back in May I had the opportunity to photograph the Can Cau Market. This is Vietnam’s most authentic and isolated market. It is held only on Saturday every week and is located about an hour drive from Bac Ha in Northeastern Vietnam and nine kilometers from the Chinese border. The market is spread out over various hillsides and features food, clothing and livestock (dogs are for sale and not for pets if you know what I mean).

From a photographer’s point of view the beauty of the market is the riot of colors from the clothing of the various ethnic hill tribe minorities, the most colorful being the Flower Hmong tribe.

I got up early in the morning and drove on a windy, muddy and dangerous mountain pass in the rain on a motorbike for over twenty kilometers. The bike nearly lost traction two times. Later, I was stopped by the local police for driving without a license and had to make a "donation." At the market I lugged around my camera equipment that weighs a ton in the heat and humidity. Harassed by aggressive sales ladies and flies, I was about to pack up and head back to my hotel when I saw this little boy on a motorbike just blowing bubbles in the wind without a care in the world.

This is why I am a photographer.

Stay tuned for more of my adventures in Southeast Asia.

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Why don't you join me on Facebook?
Still figuring out Google +
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment