Thursday, July 5, 2012

Coffee, Tea and the 5D in Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands

The Cameron Highlands are Malaysia’s largest tea-producing region. The highlands possess all the right attributes for growing tea - moderate temperatures, high altitude, abundant rainfall, long hours of sunshine and well-drained soil. A former British hill station, the Cameron Highlands are located 136 miles (219 km) north of Kuala Lumpur in Pahang, Malaysia.

I photographed this evening scene on the main street in Tanah Rata, which is the backpacker area in the Cameron Highlands. As a travel photographer I'm always looking for a unique point of view and as sunset was approaching I still couldn’t find a suitable location.

Sometimes the obvious can be staring right at you.

When I arrived into town via the bus station the day before, I noticed a parking structure attached to it. So that evening I walked toward it and it became apparent that the parking structure, the tallest point in town, would be the perfect spot.

I climbed four flights of stairs to the top floor. I prepared my equipment and had my Canon 5D Mark II mounted on my Manfrotto table top tripod which in return was hanging precariously on the edge of the parking structure wall. With one hand I held my remote shutter release while my other hand held on to my tripod all the while praying that a gust of wind wouldn’t blow it off the parking structure and down four stories.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the amazing sunset that evening. It was one of the few times I was able to capture an incredible sunset as it blended into the blue hour.

Because I was in Malaysia’s top tea-producing region, what better way to top off a great evening with a drink. So I walked into the only Starbucks in the area and ordered a double latte! Sorry, I'm more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker.

To quote one of my favorite photographers David duChemin, “May the wind be at your back and the light be in your favor.”

Stay tuned for more of my adventures in Southeast Asia.

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Why don't you join me on Facebook?
Still figuring out Google +
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment