Monday, November 28, 2011

The Purple People Eaters of Minneapolis, Minnesota

This past Labor Day weekend I had the opportunity to visit Minneapolis, Minnesota. I did it for a number of reasons. One, to visit my nephew who just started college at the University of Minnesota. Two, after living next door in Wisconsin for two years, I’ve always heard great things about Minneapolis, but outside of changing planes at the airport I never had the chance to explore the city. Third, after giving notice at my work that I would be departing, I wanted to explore more of the Midwest before I headed back to the sunny shores of California.

Free accommodations were compliments of my nephew’s futon in his dorm room. Big mistake! You feel old real quick when you’re on a college campus.

Walking around campus, it was great to meet students with their youthful ideals and a lifetime of experiences ahead of them. It was a pleasant reminder of my college days. Those days are behind me now (way behind me), but I always look back at them as a time of great personal growth and the start of my love for travel.

So while I may envy being a college student, I do not envy their debt load!

Okay, so back to the photograph.

The title refers to a term for the defensive line of the National Football League team Minnesota Vikings from the late 1960s to the late 1970s when they dominated the league. Purple is also the color of the team’s uniform.

I took this photograph from Minneapolis’ famous Stone Arch Bridge with the Mississippi River flowing below. Nature provided a little tint of purple that evening when I took this long exposure shot.

The only thing that could possibly happen that evening to tie in another Minnesota theme is if it happen to rain...”Purple Rain.”

A tribute to Minneapolis native Prince and his hit song “Purple Rain.”

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Why don't you join me on Facebook?
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment