Thursday, February 11, 2010

All Smiles, No Teeth!

In Jaro, Iloilo City in the Philippines, the Feast of Our Lady of Candles (Nuestra Senora dela Candelaria) is held every second day of February. It is the most vibrant religious festival in the Western Visayas.

The festival is centered around the Jaro Cathedral and the town plaza. Due to the enormous crowds, all local traffic was closed down in the town center. As a result my nephew and I had to walk toward the cathedral. On the way I happen to notice this street vendor and his curious "smile." I waved a friendly hello to him and walked on to the festival.

After the parade procession I saw the street vendor again and I raised my camera up to indicate a photo. He responded with his warm smile and friendly personality.

This photo breaks one of the cardinal rules in that it has a distracting background, taking the focus away the main subject. But the woman walking in the background and laughing made everybody smile, including the photographer behind the camera.

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment