Thursday, January 26, 2012

Good Things Come in Compact Packages

San Diego’s Balboa Park is the largest cultural complex west of the Mississippi River. The park encompasses over 1,200 acres and is larger than San Francisco's Golden Gate Park (1,107 acres) and New York's Central Park (843 acres). Established in 1868, the park came into prominence with the arrival of the 1915 Panama-California Exposition. The park has everything for everyone from museums, theaters, animals, architecture, flora and sports facilities.

Every December Balboa Park celebrates Christmas with a festival called Christmas on the Prado. It has now been renamed Balboa Park December Nights since it is politically incorrect to speak of the name Christmas. I love to be politically incorrect so I still call it by its original name.

Christmas on the Prado reminds San Diegans the cultural value of Balboa Park by allowing free admission to all the museums in the park. In addition, there is food, music and live entertainment.

On this escapade I took my compact Canon Powershot G9 and my Manfrotto table top tripod. I was having too much fun in the Aerospace Museum when I realized I was about to miss out on the blue hour. So I hurried my friends out of the museum and rushed to find this spot in the amusement park zone. I got down low on the ground to set up my little tripod, all the while passing spectators were probably wondering what a deranged man was doing on the ground.

Again, the Powershot G9 came through with flying colors (literally). Goods things do come in compact packages.

EXIF: ISO 80, f/8, 13 seconds, -1/3 exposure

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Why don't you join me on Facebook?
Still figuring out Google +
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment