Monday, January 17, 2011

A Trek to the Havasupai Nation Reservation

I was in Sauk Prairie, Wisconsin over the weekend photographing bald eagles. The overcast weather and sitting in my car to double as a blind equaled terrible photos.

So in the meantime I’ll post this photo from a trip I took in November of 2005 to Supai, Arizona which is located in the Havasupai Nation reservation. It is a part of the Grand Canyon region and the home of the Havasupai Tribe.

Supai is famous for its spectacular blue-green waterfalls. Havasupai translates to People-Of-The-Blue-Green-Waters in English.

The only way to get to Supai is by hiking, riding a mule or flying on a helicopter. I opted for the ten mile hike which began at Hualapai Hilltop trailhead.

This is Havasu Falls from a top the hiking trail. The color is due to the travertine deposits in the soil.

The amazing thing is the water temperature is about 70 degrees and remains relatively constant throughout the year. Although the weather during the day was about 70 degrees, the water was still too cold for my liking (now that I live in Wisconsin that’s warm to me).

A trip to the waterfalls of the Havasupai is worthy of anybody’s photography bucket list. Don’t miss out on experiencing this magical place of immense beauty and wonder.

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery
Sam's Other Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment