Friday, February 1, 2013

Dreaming in Color in the City of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

The city of San Miguel de Allende is a photographer’s dream. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it has nearly perfect weather year around, picturesque cobblestone streets, colonial architecture or the vivid, bold colors of its historic center.

If you get your news from the establishment media you no doubt have heard that Mexico is polluted, drug infested and the top destination for tourists to have their head separated from their shoulders.

San Miguel de Allende is a sea of calm amid the media hyperbole. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2008, San Miguel de Allende almost seems surreal. It has been said it is the Mexican Disneyland. The cobblestone streets are as pristine as walking down Main Street in Disneyland minus Mickey Mouse and screaming kids. Its beautiful church, the Parroquia, and perfectly manicured main plaza, El Jardin, will sooth your senses. For years visual artists have found the city as a haven for their creativity.

I originally planned just to stay in San Miguel de Allende for two days, but ended up staying for four. The warm hospitality of the locals, postcard views and striking light would not allow me to leave. During the day I would wander the crooked cobblestone streets taking in the city’s vibrant charm. Walking in the historic center was like taking a stroll into the past, perhaps it had to do with the fact that there are no traffic signals, fast food restaurants and parking meters.

The beauty of travel photography is that you never know what you will experience around every street corner. After spending a good portion of the morning wandering around the historic center, I came upon this intersection and immediately found the building colors and light spectacular. I was photographing for a couples of minutes varying my point of view and focal length, when I said to myself that all I need now is a local walking into the scene with a bright color shirt.

Be careful what you wish for in San Miguel de Allende because it will come true!

Happy Travels!

Text and photo copyright by ©Sam Antonio Photography

Why don't you join me on Facebook?
Still figuring out Google +
Follow me on Twitter!
I'm over at Pinterest too!
Sam's Photography Blog
Sam's Travel Photography Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment